What are we looking for?
What we are looking for from applications
Prior to application please check that you have met or application requirements.
For a primary applicant this includes:
- GCSE grades (or equivalent) at grade C or above in English, mathematics and science
- A degree (in any subject) normally at 2:2 or above
- recent experience in schools (in the past two years) of at least 10 days
For secondary applications this includes:
- GCSE grades (or equivalent) at grade C or above in English and maths
- A degree usually at 2:2 or above. This is normally in English, maths or a related subject. We are however interested in maths applicants with an unconnected degree but an A level in maths at grade C or above. In these cases we would require you to complete a subject knowledge enhancement programme as a condition of acceptance on the course
We are first and foremost looking for potential! This is a training programme so we do not expect you to be the finished article but we are looking for people who are committed to teaching as a career, who are highly motivated, reflective and creative.
We advise that you keep abreast with developments in education prior to any interview by reading about current policy and practice. Newspapers such as Schools Week are a good place to start and you should look at the National Curriculum.
All trainees in England have to pass the professional skills tests in English and maths. You should register for these as soon as you apply on UCAS and we expect evidence that you have booked or passed the tests prior to interview